Friday 10 October 2014

Sometimes I ACTUALLY make things.....

I meant to blog about this last winter but never got around to it and then it just wasn't relevant to blog about in the summer. Being as though the weather is changing and feeling more autumnal by the day I figured that now is as good a time as any to blog about it!

Last September, my friend Paige ran a women's activity one evening at church - arm knitting. I had never heard of it before and went along to support her more than actually intending to make anything. You see, I can't knit. Or sew. Or anything of the sort. When I was at school, I used to bribe a boy in my textiles class to do all of my sewing for me because I just couldn't sew properly at all. I was actually so rubbish at it that quite often my teacher wouldn't even let me near the sewing machines. Nice (Incidentally, this was the same teacher that wouldn't let me use the ovens in Home Ecomonics after I set off the smoke alarms trying to heat oil in a pan. I'm really not the most domesticated of people - good job I didn't let Seth know this until after we were married ;)).  However when I got to the activity, I was kind of fascinated by the idea and the scarves that Paige had already made looked pretty cool so thought I might as well at least give arm knitting a try. After all, how hard could it be?

Very hard. At least, it was for me that night - poor Paige had to come to my rescue on more than one occasion but I came away from that activity having made a scarf! I was actually pretty proud of myself. I quite liked the whole arm knitting thing so I have tried it on a couple of occasions since then and it's actually pretty easy ( there are a couple of really good youtube tutorials on it as well which helped!). I taught my Mum how to arm knit and sent one of the scarves to my niece on her mission in Salt Lake City.



If you like the look of them and fancy giving them a try, do it! They are so easy to make and they only take about an hour maximum (it's probably a lot quicker for someone who is used to making them!) and this is coming from me - trust me, if I am saying it is easy, you really can't go wrong.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! Can't wait to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty , You are brilliant. You love scarves anyway so for you to be able to knit your own is just wonderful. I enjoyed 0ur knitting session which resulted in me making a scarf but not as good as yours.xx

    ReplyDelete