Wednesday 23 November 2011

Weekend in Liverpool

I can't remember the last time Lin, Laura and I had a girls weekend. So we were all really looking forward to spending this weekend together in Liverpool, staying at Laura's. Lins and I met up with each other at Euston station and travelled up to Liverpool together. Laura met us at the station at just after 10 when our train got in and we walked back to her apartment. Our walk took us right through the city centre and it looked beautiful. All of the Christmas lights are up. I love seeing Christmas lights but these ones seemed particularly beautiful. When we got back to Laura's apartment, she surprised us with Krispy Kreme doughnuts. I had the chocolate dreamcake one again, just as I did the last time we were up and it was as tasty as I remember!

I don't think I've mentioned it before, but I got a new phone a couple of weeks ago. One of the apps on it is Sound Hound, where you can hum a certain song and it will tell you the name of the song and who it is by. Laura couldn't wait to get her hands on it to see how it worked. The funniest thing is, every time she sung, it didn't recognise the songs that she was singing. We didn't recognise them either! :)
Actually, I think this may have been Laura's victory dance when it finally did know which song she was singing! We had a fun evening, chatting and dancing away. Laura always dances, but it is especially amusing now as she has floor to ceiling, wall to wall windows with the police headquarters across the road from her so if anyone was to look, they would be able to see Laura dancing away!
                                                                         

The next morning, we went to the gym at the Hilton hotel underneath Laura's apartment. Laura and Lin had a good workout, whereas I just had fun taking pictures of them!
There are probably going to be a lot of pictures in this blog post as I took loads over the weekend so I am being selective in choosing them, as otherwise there would be quite a few here. When we finished at the gym we went back to Lau's, got ready then headed out. As it was about 11 we went for brunch at Patisserie Valerie, which consisted of amazing cakes and hot chocolates. Mmmm healthy! I've wanted to go to Patisserie Valerie for a while as their cakes look amazing, so I was quite pleased when Laura suggested that we go there.
The cakes were absolutely delicious! Well, mine was at least, I didn't try their ones to know what they were like. I have the hugest sweet tooth so I was pretty surprised when even I couldn't finish my cake! Shocking!
Once we had finished gorging ourselves we walked down to the Museum of Liverpool. Laura was so funny, she was running along doing heel clicks, it was hilarious. We kept making her do it again to get a picture of it, but sadly I didn't manage to get a picture of it on my camera! I did get a picture of her amongst the pigeons though. It reminded me of a scene from Mary Poppins :). The Museum of Liverpool was pretty cool. They had a karaoke booth in there with loads of wigs as well. This was the result.
You might wonder why I would actually choose to let people see these pictures and to be honest, I can't help but wonder that myself when I look at these again. But then they just make me laugh so I have to share them!

Once we had finished there, we walked around Albert Dock for a bit and then headed to the famous Cavern Club where the Beatles played. It's really cool down there, it was great being down here and listening to the music.
If you look closely, in the photo of Lin and Laura you can see two women behind them on the right and on the left hand side. The woman on the left hand side kept posing for photos which I assume her husband was taking. The thing was, each time it was exactly the same pose and the same background and I kid you not, I think she took about 8 photos like that every 5 minutes or so, it was a great source of amusement for us! The woman on the right hand side loved the music. A lot. She was dancing around like a mad thing. There isn't much room in the Cavern Club, people are packed in pretty tightly and yet she managed to take up loads of space dancing around. It was funny to watch her.

We went for dinner at the Red Hot World Buffet. Laura had been there a couple of times before and seems to have made friends with the manager in those times that she's been there. When Laura called earlier to make a reservation they said that they were fully booked so we went there anyway and decided to wait for a table. The manager saw Laura and about 5 minutes later we were seated. It pays to have connections! The food was great, they have pretty much any type of food you can imagine and it is delicious.
We went back to Laura's afterwards to watch "Strictly Come Dancing". We always used to watch it together when we lived at home so it was fun watching it together again. We also had a nice little sing-along, something else we always did a lot when we lived at home, it was really fun to do it together again.

We went out a bit later on for a late evening sweets dash ready for mine and Lin's journey home on the Sunday, then when we got back, we were just hanging out, Laura was dancing some more and using a torch that she found in her 72 hour pack (whilst getting out a sleeping bag for me) to say good evening to the police in their headquarters opposite by using morse code. It was quite funny watching her do it. I would have been amused if one of the police actually saw it!
On Sunday we went to church then when we got home Lins and I packed our stuff while Laura got lunch ready. I was having fun trying to roll up a double air mattress and making it fit into the tiny bag that it had come out of. I've seen Seth do it a few times but clearly I need to pay more attention because I really wasn't having much luck!

Laura walked us to the train station and she and Lins made sure I was safely on the train before they went to Lin's train. Laura even carried my case onto the train for me, she's so good! I've thought a lot about last weekend and how much fun we had and once again, I think I am safe in saying that I have the best family ever.

10 comments:

  1. What a terrific weekend !!! I would love to have been a fly on the wall but then I know how funny you can be together especially with singing and dancing!!! Great times.!!! Liverpool is a wonderful vibrant city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention .....Terrific photos Kirsty.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention,,,,,,, Terrific photos Kirsty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps I should comment on the photos a third time just to make sure !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, Mum you are so funny! :) We had a really fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, Mum you are so funny :) We had a really fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just thought I would join in with you with saying things twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was laughing so hard when I read it - just remembering how much fun we had! When Jess went up the weekend after, Laura actually had a group of people in Ploice HQ gathered around the window watching her little show! Jess got a great shot from outside looking up, at Laura in the window with her guitar entertaining the... police!
    Brilliant, amazingly funny weekend! We'll have to do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lins said...
    I was laughing so hard when I read it - just remembering how much fun we had! When Jess went up the weekend after, Laura actually had a group of people in Ploice HQ gathered around the window watching her little show! Jess got a great shot from outside looking up, at Laura in the window with her guitar entertaining the... police!
    Brilliant, amazingly funny weekend! We'll have to do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgot to mention .....Terrific photos Kirsty.!!
    Liverpool Gym

    ReplyDelete